Friday, May 16, 2008

Goodnight Buddy Rubbish


Perhaps I'm too sentimental, or overly emotional, in either event it's taken me this long to say goodnight to Lou Roscher aka "Buddy Rubbish." Longtime DJ and personality in the Pioneer Valley, "Buddy" was someone whom you either loved or hated. I had mixed emotions. On one hand, he was the embodiment of the radio theater that I loved, and on another level, I hated his enthusiasm for sports. He kept me company on lonely Friday evenings on Memory Lane , an oldies show on WRSI in Greenfield. He pissed me off when he moved to WRNX for the morning drive and his show sucked because of their playlist. Through it all, I saw the genius that was Buddy. He did radio the way it was meant to be, personable, innovative and smart. He passed on April 11th of this year. I just want to salute him tonight and thank him for making commercial radio acceptable and interesting. WRSI paid tribute to him tonight. Johnny Memphis and Leo T. Baldwin did a great job that I'm sure Buddy would've approved. Remember me Buddy, I once threw an f-bomb at you at a "Transperformance" show in Florence.

No comments: